FORUM FOR PSYCHIATRY RESIDENTS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Follow Forum_Psych on Twitter
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 222 registered users
The newest registered user is raheelmemon

Our users have posted a total of 1140 messages in 613 subjects
If you are seeing this, you have attempted to link to the UpToDate widget but are experiencing a problem. Please visit UpToDate for more information.

Association Between Von Willebrand's Disease and Psychotic Disorders

Go down

Association Between Von Willebrand's Disease and Psychotic Disorders Empty Association Between Von Willebrand's Disease and Psychotic Disorders

Post  Admin Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Von Willebrand's Disease and Psychotic Disorders:
Co-Segregation and Genetic Associations

Source: Bipolar Disorders, Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 150–155, April 2004

Association Between Von Willebrand's Disease and Psychotic Disorders Red_bl10

The study was initiated following ascertainment of a nuclear family in which four members were diagnosed with vWD and psychotic/mood disorders. As co-segregation was uncertain in the extended pedigree, we also investigated population-based linkage and association using polymorphisms of vWF, the gene conferring susceptibility to vWD. Three common vWF polymorphisms were investigated among 194 patients with psychotic disorders (bipolar I disorder, BD I; schizoaffective disorder, SZA and schizophrenia, SZ) and their parents. The cases were also compared with unrelated population-based controls (n = 183).

Results:  The transmission disequilibrium test and related analyses suggested nominally significant transmission distortion of one allele and related haplotypes to the probands from their parents. The most significant results were obtained among patients with BD I, and similar trends were also evident in the SZ sample. Comparisons between the cases and population-based controls did not reveal associations, though marginally significant case–control differences were obtained in the BD I sample.

Conclusions:  These studies are consistent with association and linkage between vWF and BD I. However, given the relatively small sample, stochastic variation is an alternative explanation
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://psychiatry.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down