FORUM FOR PSYCHIATRY RESIDENTS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Follow Forum_Psych on Twitter
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 222 registered users
The newest registered user is raheelmemon

Our users have posted a total of 1140 messages in 613 subjects
If you are seeing this, you have attempted to link to the UpToDate widget but are experiencing a problem. Please visit UpToDate for more information.

Initial Treatment of Bipolar I Disorder in Children and Adolescents: Risperidone, Lithium, or Divalproex Sodium

Go down

Initial Treatment of Bipolar I Disorder in Children and Adolescents: Risperidone, Lithium, or Divalproex Sodium Empty Initial Treatment of Bipolar I Disorder in Children and Adolescents: Risperidone, Lithium, or Divalproex Sodium

Post  Admin Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 am

A Randomized Controlled Trial of Risperidone, Lithium, or Divalproex Sodium for Initial Treatment of Bipolar I Disorder, Manic or Mixed Phase, in Children and Adolescents.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Published online January 2, 2012.

Initial Treatment of Bipolar I Disorder in Children and Adolescents: Risperidone, Lithium, or Divalproex Sodium Mood_s10

Context
There was a paucity of comparative pharmacological research for initial treatment of bipolar I disorder, manic or mixed phase, in children and adolescents.

Objective
To investigate which medication to administer first to antimanic medication–naive subjects.

Design, Setting, and Participants
The Treatment of Early Age Mania (TEAM) study recruited 6- to 15-year-old children and adolescents with DSM-IV bipolar I disorder (manic or mixed phase) at 5 US sites from 2003 to 2008 into a controlled, randomized, no-patient-choice, 8-week protocol. Blinded, independent evaluators conducted all baseline and end-point assessments.

Interventions
Subjects received a titrated schedule of lithium, divalproex sodium, or risperidone. Medications were increased weekly only if there was inadequate response, and no dose-limiting adverse effects, to maximum doses of lithium carbonate (1.1-1.3 mEq/L), divalproex sodium (111-125 μg/mL), and risperidone (4-6 mg).

Main Outcome Measures
Primary outcome measures were the Clinical Global Impressions for Bipolar Illness Improvement–Mania and the Modified Side Effects Form for Children and Adolescents.

Results
- There were 279 antimanic medication–naive subjects (mean [SD] age, 10.1 [2.8] years; 50.2% female) who had the following characteristics: 100% elated mood and/or grandiosity, 77.1% psychosis, 97.5% mixed mania, 99.3% daily rapid cycling, and mean (SD) mania duration of 4.9 (2.5) years.
- The mean (SD) titrated lithium level was 1.09 (0.34) mEq/L, and the mean (SD) divalproex sodium level was 113.6 (23.0) μg/mL. The mean (SD) titrated risperidone dose was 2.57 (1.21) mg.
- Higher response rates occurred with risperidone vs lithium (68.5% vs 35.6%; 21 = 16.9, P < .001) and vs divalproex sodium (68.5% vs 24.0%; 21 = 28.3, P < .001).
- Response to lithium vs divalproex sodium did not differ.
- The discontinuation rate was higher for lithium than for risperidone (21 = 6.4, P = .011).
- Increased weight gain, body mass index, and prolactin level occurred with risperidone vs lithium (F1,212 = 45.5, P < .001; F1,212 = 39.1, P < .001; and F1,213 = 191.4, P < .001, respectively) and vs divalproex sodium (F1,212 = 34.7, P < .001; F1,212 = 45.3, P < .001; and F1,213 = 209.4, P < .001, respectively).
- The thyrotropin level increased in subjects taking lithium (t62 = 11.3, P < .001).

Conclusions
Risperidone was more efficacious than lithium or divalproex sodium for the initial treatment of childhood mania but had potentially serious metabolic effects.

Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://psychiatry.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down