FORUM FOR PSYCHIATRY RESIDENTS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Follow Forum_Psych on Twitter
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 222 registered users
The newest registered user is raheelmemon

Our users have posted a total of 1140 messages in 613 subjects
If you are seeing this, you have attempted to link to the UpToDate widget but are experiencing a problem. Please visit UpToDate for more information.

PsychCentral Q&A: She’s confused by his mixed signals

Go down

PsychCentral Q&A: She’s confused by his mixed signals Empty PsychCentral Q&A: She’s confused by his mixed signals

Post  Admin Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:10 am

She’s confused by his mixed signals
By DR. MARIE HARTWELL-WALKER

I am confused about this seemingly shy coworker who seems to have a crush on me. On the job he is a loner, seems shy and rather passive, but excels in math and computer knowledge. His grooming is rather unkempt, but he did try to improve his appearance after I approached him after months of him watching me from a distance and not making a move. When he does hold a conversation, it is usually with much older coworkers then anyone around is age.

One of the things that confused me is that when I finally spoke to him he was stuttering, could not make eye contact, and did not know what to do. he was so uncomfortable, I felt uncomfortable and did not speak to him again until months later.

This time I spoke to him right outside the building. He seemed pleasantly surprised and happy that I was talking to him. He seemed like a completely different person. His voice was strong, confident, and deeper than the one he uses with everyone at work. He maintained eye contact, was confident, articulate, and seemed very intelligent. He did not seem the least timid or withdrawn.

However, the next time, I saw again, a day later, he seemed uncomfortable looking at me and returning my hello and I heard him speaking to others in that same weaker voice and acting very shy.

After our conversation, he walks near or passes me, glances over at me out of the corner of eyes, but still does not approach me. In these instances, I did not go over and speak to him, but I continued to greet him in the morning, as I do everyone, but now he gives me silent treatment. He looks past me in my direction and won’t say anything.

I wonder if you could give me your thoughts as to what you think is going on with him. Are these signs as to problems I can expect from him if I continue to try to keep communicating with him? So far it seems he will not ever come up and talk to me and that I will have to do the pursuing. Something I am not keen on and will not do.

But right now he seems rude and rather self-centered. He is not thinking at all about hurting my feelings when he snubs me. He is not taking the initiative to get to know me better after I broke the ice between us. He is about in his 40s.

I do not understand his “shyness” with me now inside the building that was not there outside the building when he seem so confident with that different sounding voice. Though I like him, I can move on. Thanks

For DR. MARIE HARTWELL-WALKER's answer --->
http://psychcentral.com/ask-the-therapist/2011/06/04/shes-confused-by-his-mixed-signals/
PsychCentral Q&A: She’s confused by his mixed signals Mareihw
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://psychiatry.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down